Typhoon Pablo death toll has risen to 327, with nearly 400 more still missing

track3 300x223 Typhoon Pablo death toll has risen to 327, with nearly 400 more still missing

Typhoon Pablo death toll has risen to 327, with nearly 400 more still missing

President Aquino is irked at the confusing discrepancy between the so-called “official” and “unofficial” death toll.
The death toll from Typhoon “Pablo” stood at 95 as of midday Wednesday, according to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC).
The Army’s 10th Infantry Division said at that time that there were 224 people reported dead in Compostela Valley and Davao Oriental, including four soldiers from Charlie company of the 66th Infantry Battalion.
Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin said the NDRRMC toll was “official” and the Army report should be regarded as “unofficial.”
(In an updated report at 7 p.m., the NDRRMC put the overall toll of lives at 274.)
Qualifying the reports was directed Wednesday by Gazmin after an apparent discrepancy in the figures reported by the NDRRMC and the media.
The Philippine Daily Inquirer learned that President Aquino was irked by the different numbers.
“Figures coming from the NDRRMC will be the official death count while those coming from the field or the ground will be considered the unofficial death toll,” Gazmin told the Inquirer.
He likened this to the official and unofficial vote count of the Commission on Elections and National Citizens Movement for Free Elections.

Last year’s Tropical Storm “Sendong” laid to waste vast sections of Northern Mindanao, particularly the cities of Iligan and Cagayan de Oro, an area also previously thought to be away from the path of storms. It killed more than 1,500 people.
The Manila Observatory in January observed that based on data from the US Joint Typhoon Warning Center, “roughly one typhoon crosses Mindanao every 10 years.”

News from : http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/319223/official-toll-95unofficial-224-dead-aquino-irked

You may also like...