SEVERE WEATHER BULLETIN NO. 7
FOR: TROPICAL STORM “#KarenPH” (SAKIRA)
TROPICAL CYCLONE: WARNING
ISSUED AT 5:00 PM, 14 October 2016
“KAREN” HAS INTENSIFIED INTO A SEVERE TROPICAL STORM AND NOW THREATENS CATANDUANES PROVINCE.
•Estimated amount of rainfall is from moderate to heavy within the 500 km diameter of the Severe Tropical Storm.
•Possible raising of Tropical Cyclone Warning Signal #2 over the provinces of Quezon, Aurora, Albay and Polillio Island this evening or tomorrow morning.
•Possible occurrence of flash floods and landslides over the areas with TCWS #2 and #1
•Fisherfolks and those with small seacrafts are advised not to venture out over the eastern seaboard of Eastern Samar.
Location of eye/center: At 4:00 PM today, the center of Severe Tropical Storm “KAREN” was estimated based on all available data at 205 km East of Virac, Catanduanes(13.9°N, 126.1°E).
Strength: Maximum sustained winds of up to 100 kph near the center and gustiness of up to 140 kph.
Forecast Movement : Forecast to move West Northwest at 9 kph.
•24 Hour( Tomorrow afternoon): In the vicinity of Catanduanes
•48 Hour(Sunday afternoon):45 km North Northeast of Iba, Zambales
•72 Hour(Monday afternoon): 520 km West Northwest of Iba, Zambales (OUTSIDE PAR)
•96 Hour(Tuesday afternoon):840 km North Northwest of Pagasa Island, Palawan (OUTSIDE PAR)
TROPICAL CYCLONE WARNING SIGNAL
TCWS 2 (61-120 kph Expected in 24 hours):Catanduanes, Camarines Sur and Camarines Norte
• Light to Moderate damage to high risk structures;
• Very light to light damage to medium-risk structures;
• No damage to very light damage to low risk structures
• Unshielded, old dilapidated schoolhouses, makeshift shanties, and other structures of light materials are partially damaged or unroofed.
• A number of nipa and cogon houses may be partially or totally unroofed.
• Some old galvanized iron (G.I.) roofs may be peeled or blown off.
• Some wooden, old electric posts are tilted or downed.
• Some damage to poorly constructed signs/billboards
• In general, the winds may bring light to moderate damage to the exposed communities. Most banana plants, a few mango trees, ipil-ipil and similar types of trees are downed or broken.
• Some coconut trees may be tilted with few others broken.
• Rice and corn may be adversely affected.
• Considerable damage to shrubbery and trees with some heavy-foliaged trees blown down.
Wave Height: (Open Sea) 4.1-14.0 meters Storm surge possible at coastal areas
TCWS 1 (30-60 kph Expected in 36 hours):
Luzon: Albay, Sorsogon, Quezon including Polillo Island, Aurora, Isabela,Quirino, Laguna, Rizal, Marinduque, Ticao and Burias Island, Masbate, Nueva Ecija, Bulacan, Pampanga, Cavite, Batangas and Metro Manila
Visayas: Northern Samar
Impacts of the wind:
•Very light or no damage to low risk structures,
•Light damage to medium to high risk structures
•Slight damage to some houses of very light materials or makeshift structures in exposed communities. Some banana plants are tilted, a few downed and leaves are generally damaged
•Twigs of small trees may be broken.
•Rice crops, however, may suffer significant damage when it is in its flowering stage.
Wave Height: (Open Sea) 1.25-4.0 meters
The public and the Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council concerned are advised to take appropriate actions and watch for the next weather bulletin to be issued at 11PM today.